Camp…
This past weekend was our winter weekend. It went well, but Friday was quite the adventure. Friday we had a major windstorm. It toppled trees and that made getting into camp hard. Thankfully the bus in front of me knew the back roads in the pitch black. We followed them and made it into Lake Champion to discover that all the electricity was out. The emergency lighting was on, ran by generators, in the hallways, so we were at least able to find our rooms and drop off our stuff. We went to the gym and club, which were dimly lit by generators, and had a lot of fun. While walking back to the dorms, I thought I heard an alarm going off. I turned to Lindy, one of my girl leaders and friend, and said, “Do you hear that alarm going off?” We kept walking and as we approached the girls’ dorms we noticed that the fire alarm was going off at the first dorm. My first thought was that the lack of electricity tripped the wire and that is why it was going off. And then we saw the smoke. And then more smoke. We came to realize that this was major, as property crew were running around and volunteer fire fighter crews began to show up. The fire grew more before it was contained. What had happened was that the generator overheated, caught on fire, and then caught the building on fire. Some girls and leaders lost their belongings to fire and or smoke damage. Thankfully, no one was in the building while it happened. That would have been very bad.
Anyway, here is the crazy part. When the fire was going we gathered all our kids and met in the clubroom to do a head count. This is still w/o electricity mind you. The head leader then asks for all the Ferndale leaders to meet with him. (Ferndale is one of the girls’ dorms along with Brookview.) Each dorm contains about 8 rooms/cabins and bathrooms. Lindy and I were curious as to why they wanted to see us, as we were in the dorm next to it, the dorm that did not burn. Come to find out, somehow, we went into Brookview 5 instead of Ferndale 5. Because it was dark, we could not see the building name, so when we went to room 5 and saw it empty so we thought we were in the right place. We were supposed to be in the building that burned. Can you believe it? While I feel very badly for the people who lost their stuff, at the same time I am sooo thankful that we did not have to deal with that. I also feel really guilty.
I have pics I will try to post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
That is an amazing story!
When are you coming home for Christmas..........???
Ok, here is my question for you, are you thankful in general or are you thanking God for sparing your stuff? Cuase if you are thanking God for sparing your stuff, should the people who lost their stuff be angry with God? Should they be thankful that he took their stuff? Just a question.
Holy buckets batman!
Good question. I believe my sentence read, "I am thankful that I didn't have to deal with that mess." And by mess I meant every part of it, losing my stuff, having my kids lose their stuff, having to relocate that weekend, having to be the property crew and having to deal with the aftermath, etc. It would totally suck to lose our stuff. We would survive, and it could have been much worse of course, but it would suck nonetheless.
I think it is OK to be angry with God, as I absolutely admit I get angry with Him from time to time, but I also think that we should tell God we are angry (He already knows anyhow), and then work it out with Him. God gave us all our emotions, so He should understand anger then, right?
As for being thankful for Him taking their stuff...actually I would say God did not take it. Sure He knew what happened, but it was the fire that took it. God did not cause the fire, but because He can make good things happen out of bad, I would trust God to do that. And I wouldn't be thankful it was gone....no way...but I would pray that God would help me to have a good attitude about it, because I would be pissed! But obviously God allowed it to happen for some reason...so we have to just hang in there and trust Him for that. He IS God after all. I am thankful for that...
Thanks for commenting on my blog. Next time leave your name or contact info so I can know which friend I am writing to. I appreciate you stopping by!!
God did amazing things by having you go to the other room. It wasn't by mistake.
I am glad it all worked out.
love ya!
Post a Comment