Yesterday I went to the dentist for the first time in, well, a while. I went religiously growing up and until I moved away to NJ. Once I moved I figured I would go see him when I came home on vacation. I obviously wasn't thinking - as visiting the dentist is the last thing I wanted to do on my vacations home. So, six months turned into a year and on and on. Then, yesterday, I sat in that dreaded chair for the first time in four years.
I decided not to go back to my former dentist for various reasons, none of which I should list publicly on this website. I needed to go, as I could tell my lower left back tooth (I'm sure that's the scientific name of it :-)) was hurting me, and I was super scared I had a cavity. This may seem like no big deal to you, but to me it was huge. I had never had a cavity before...and the fear of the unknown - how bad the shot in my mouth was going to hurt - had me terrified. I knew I needed to be a big girl and just deal with it, but I wanted to make sure I saw a dentist who was VERY gentle and wouldn't judge me for not going to the dentist for the last four years.
Two of my coworkers told me that they share the same dentist and love him. They spoke so highly of him I felt more comforted about the impending visit and made the call to see him. The only problem was that he was out of network. However, having worked with insurance before (when I worked with Dr. Page) I thought that it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
I must say that they were very right about this dentist. He is very modern and his methods are cutting edge. He had a computer screen at every chair and literally used a mini video camera - about the size of a pen - to show me my teeth on the screen so I could know what he was talking about. He took the time to get to know me and he genuinely cared about me and my teeth. The dental hygienists who were working there seemed super nice. He also reassured me that shots were no issue at all, he actually calls them "numbing," and that the only reason I am worried is because I have never experienced him doing it. His self confidence made me feel so much better and I was ready to sign on the dotted line as his patient.
When he did the examination he did find that I have a crack in the tooth that was bothering me. While I still do not have any cavities (my goal is to never get any) I do need to get a crown on that tooth. I was not so happy to hear about that, and the process involved, but was glad to know I was going to get it resolved. I was also not too happy to hear that I will probably need another crown soon as he noticed another "baby" crack, which will soon grow, in a tooth on the lower right side of my mouth.
Have any of you ever had this happen? And what am I in for?
As I was leaving I went to the front counter to pay for my visit, set my appointments for a cleaning and crown, and tie up other loose ends from the visit. The very nice receptionist made the appointments and then started punching away at her calculator. She then proceeded to tell me information that made me want to pound my forehead on the counter...multiple times...and then do it again. The crown, my share of it, will be $680. Because I chose to go out of network, my insurance will only cover 30%. Holy crap.
So now I have this dilemma. Do I stick with this incredible dentist and get the dreaded procedure done and pay for it out of pocket (well, that's what 70% feels to me), or go to another dentist, perhaps my old one, and pay less while maybe getting less that decent service...and shots that hurt??? I should note here that while crowns are super expensive, my out of network insurance will cover lots more of the other services offered at the new dentist. Knowing that I have a second crown coming up in the near future though, my problem only becomes that more confusing.
What would you do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh wow! You have a hard decision to make. I would say though maybe try to go to another dentist and not the one you use to go. I go to the Kingsburg Smile Center across from the hospitial. It's the one that has been remodeling. He's real nice and is up with all the new tech stuff. They also seem to take a lot of different of coverages.
Hey, I need to call you about. Are you still up for S.F? The weekend you gave me works for me too.
Pay the money!! It's sooo hard to find a good dentist where you leave NOT feeling like you just spent the last hour flirting with a master torturer. (Can you tell how much I love the destist?) If you're comfortable with him and he does a good job it's worth it to me to pay the extra money!! :)
hmm, i got a kick out of your story becaues my FIL is the dentist. Maybe we can cut a deal with him. I'll ask him if he'll do the crowns super cheap for you since you offerred us your house. then, all you'd have to buy is your airline ticket and you'd get to see me again :)
That or we could swap houses :)
Post a Comment