And you thought the Jasmin drama was done...well, me too! But not quite. Knowing Jasmin - she had to go out with as much drama as possible. That girl is the definition of high maintenance - but I love her for that because that is how she was wired - even though I had days where I was annoyed to no end!!:-)
Yesterday morning I received a call from the high school. I looked down at my cell phone and immediately thought that they were calling me about cheer or something of that nature. When I answered the superintendent greeted me (and the joy of living in a small town - we know each other personally) and she told me she had Jasmin in her office. She then told me that Jasmin was "struck by a truck" but that she was "ok." Of course I immediately became concerned and after hearing she was alright I asked for the full story...
Apparently Jasmin was at Tom's (a local donut shop) to get coffee during break (or recess). I should note here that KHS is a CLOSED campus during break - meaning that Jasmin was disobeying by choosing to walk to Tom's (and she later told me she did it all the time or walked home too - no wonder she doesn't have friends...she hid from them at break and lunch!). She was making her way back to campus when she was hit. According to Jasmin, she was not watching the cars and immediately stepped out into the crosswalk when the little walkie guy came up on the sign. At the same time a white truck was making a right hand turn onto the street she was attempting to cross. He was looking to the left since he had a red light and didn't see her when he turned. From the way I understand it, he clipped her knee which hurt and startled her and she fell back, lost her balance, and had to crawl back to the sidewalk. The truck did not stop (although truthfully I wonder if he even noticed...) The car behind the truck saw what happened and stopped and helped Jasmin. She assured him she would be fine and she then hobbled to the office to report what happened. The police and ambulance were then called. A hit and run report was filed, Jasmin was assessed and told she had just a simple bruised knee and she just needed to ice it, and I was called. Unfortunately the video recorded from the cameras at the high school did not catch the incident because she was too far away from the high school.
When I arrived at the high school I had three thoughts when I first saw Jasmin. 1)Her knee looks fine - not red, not swollen, and she was beginning to walk like normal...all is good health wise. 2)Since she was texting on the phone when I walked into the room (never mind the fact that she can't have a cell phone on campus, ugh!) she must not be in that much pain and 3)She knows she can't wear spaghetti strap tank tops to school...what is she thinking??!! I asked her to tell me her story and she did and of course didn't mention the fact that had she stayed where she was supposed to be this wouldn't have happened. Of course I gave her as much compassion as I could - I think it was more scary for her then anything else, and helped her to rethink how this situation could have been different or better yet - avoided. At that time the superintendent came and talked with me and she called the officer who took the report who came to the school and talked with me.
Linda then talked to me about how Jasmin had told her she was switching host families. This frustrated me because I had asked Jasmin the night before to please, PLEASE, tell the truth as to why she was leaving KHS...that it was a small town, that I wanted to keep my good reputation, etc. Apparently she decided it would be easier to not tell the school it was because she wanted to have friends at Clovis East because I had to spend the next five minutes telling the superintendent the truth and that, unfortunately, I cannot change Jasmin's mind or keep her like I had committed and wanted to. Jasmin just sat there.
I then took Jasmin home and called Cheryl, who if you remember, was supposed to come get Jasmin later in the evening. Cheryl decided to come down right away once she heard of the incident and I told her she should come anyway because Cheryl needed to be the one to officially check her out of KHS - that I could not. So Cheryl told me to tell Jasmin that she would go ahead and take her once she got to town. This sent Jasmin into a flurry of activity - and she definitely let me know she wasn't happy about it. Of course Jasmin didn't pack at all on Sunday, or clean, and she suddenly was rushing around trying to get everything done. She got mad at me when I asked her if she had done this or that (which she promised to do like three weeks ago), or when I told her that, "No, I'm sorry, but you can't leave clothes you don't want here for me to deal with." She also cleaned my bathroom with Endust and got mad when I saw her and asked her to please clean with Comet instead - which she knows how to do but was too lazy to do it right. (And, believe me, had her knee truly been hurt I wouldn't have made her clean at all. Her knee was totally fine, she was just milking it at the high school.) When Cheryl showed up she looked at Jasmin's room and bathroom and she questioned Jasmin as to why she hadn't done this yesterday. Of course Jasmin was full of excuses and at the point it didn't matter to me why. Cheryl asked Jasmin if she owed me any money and Jasmin grudgingly gave me the money she owed me for towels she had ruined (but I was very gracious with her about - and when she ruined them at the beginning of the year she said she would keep using them and replace them when she left) and money for the phone bill for her calls to Germany. She let Cheryl know how she shouldn't have to pay me for the towels - ugh, the nerve of her! This was money for two sets of brand new towels I had bought right before she got here. They were blue towels which were ruined by her face wash - apparently the bleach in the face wash was the culprit in my towels getting bleach blotches all over them. Cheryl asked her why she was being so mean to me and fighting me over towels right before she had to leave and Jasmin said she didn't know - must be her knee. Yeah right, I don't think so.
Finally Jasmin had everything packed and was loading the car. I asked Jasmin to please call my parents to say good-bye. She hadn't even made any effort to do that - or have any type of closure with any of my other family or friends she had met which also ticked me off. Cheryl did a walk through and noticed nothing had been vacuumed - bed hadn't been stripped, etc. Cheryl helped me strip the bed and I just didn't push the issue of cleaning. Jasmin was being snippy, it was hot, Cheryl was in a hurry having to get to the school and check Jasmin out, and I was soooo done with Jasmin being ungrateful and rude. Cheryl said she would give us time to say good-bye and she went out and stood by her car. Jasmin then stared me down and after an uncomfortable silence headed to the door. At this point I was so hurt. I couldn't believe the last seven months were ending this way. She was opening the door when I said, "Aren't we even going to hug good-bye?" She rolled her eyes and told me that she didn't think I would want her to hug me because I was hurt. Then I went off. I was like, "Jasmin - how can you say that??? I just gave you the last seven months of my life. I gave you my time, my money, my family, my friends, my house, my faith, my food...how can you say I wouldn't want a hug? Yes, I don't affirm this decision you are making. Yes, I do think you are making a mistake. I still love you though. I still care for you and want the best for you. I still want to keep in touch. Why are you giving me attitude and fighting me up until the very end? I just feel sad you are choosing these possible friends over me, my family, and everything this community has done for you!!!" At this point it was super hard to keep from crying. I couldn't believe her... And then she said, "Yeah, I am choosing friends over you. And its a risk I am willing to take." And with that I said, "OK" gave her a hug and told her to take care of herself. She then left.
Jasmin will be sleeping on the couch of her temporary host family. They have three kids - one of which has special needs. Jasmin's life will be much different there then here. Who knows who her new permanent host family will be - and if she will ever find one. Who knows if she will ever contact me....
This whole process has been such a struggle. I truly had good intentions going into this and hated the way it ended. That is so not like me - I like closure and going away parties and gifts. I couldn't do any of that for her. I really tried to love her and care for her these past seven months. I was firm but totally fair. I really tried my best. I don't understand why things ended the way they did - and I know I am hurt and need to process this still. Perhaps I will come to realize why God brought her here and in the meantime I am asking that God continue to teach me through this process of confusion and frustration. Perhaps He is also trying to open my eyes to something about myself??
Jerelyn wrote this to me and it made me feel better. I am including it mostly to help encourage me that these last seven months weren't in vain. I should mention here that Jerelyn, like many other family and friends in my life, went out of her way to help Jasmin be successful in her time here - by volunteering to help her take classes by independent study and be her teacher so she could catch up with the American seniors and graduate. I have many stories like that. Jane who met with Jasmin each week to do a Bible Study. My parents who had her over for dinner many times, took her shopping and to the movies, took her to the coast camping, etc. My brother and sister-in-law who did her favors and gave her rides. My extended family who welcomed her into holiday celebrations and made sure she was included in the upcoming wedding of my cousin. The friends who donated money so she could go on the two YL trips. The YL leaders who befriended her and also did favors for her. Amy who spent the weekend with Jasmin and stayed up late talking with her. My church family who made her feel like a part of the family and helped care for her when she was sick. The local doctor who took her in, even though he wasn't accepting new patients, because she was a foreigner and he wanted to make her feel welcome in our community and country. I'm sure I am leaving many stories out...
"I read this morning on your blog what happened with Jasmin. You did a great thing accepting her into your home and loving her for who she was. Giving your time, patience, money, home...etc. And asking for nothing in return but a little bit of cooperation and respect. You were a great model of a Christian woman and I have no doubt that you have influenced her in a GOOD way. I'm so sorry it ended this way and that you're disappointed. Give it time...I have a feeling it will sink in for her. And of course I'll be praying for her."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm so sorry it has to end this way - Lou is right ... it sounds like you did all you could, the rest is up to God! Praying for this transition.
You did a good thing. It's hard when they are at an age where they don't always see the big picture. You have a good heart and hopefully she will realize that. I hope all is well in Kingsburg. Its weird to hear stories from K-town.
Post a Comment