Thursday, March 13, 2008

Jasmin leaves for Mexico on Saturday. Tonight we need to pack her up as they load everything tomorrow night because they leave dark and early on Saturday morning. I think that I am more excited about her going then she is. She, by admission, enjoys "luxury" vacations so she will definitely have new experiences with baby-wipe showers and sleeping on a cot. It will be sooooo good for her though. She will learn what it is like to serve other people and she will be able to really have the opportunity to evaluate where her heart is in response and relationship to Jesus. She struggles with telling the truth and vanity and I think this trip will (hopefully) really help her to be thankful for what she has and more aware of loving those who are less fortunate. Several people have been very generous in making this trip possible for her (as her "sponsors") and I am deeply grateful. I will let you know how her trip goes!

Gas is really expensive here. I spend 3.68/gallon on it yesterday. I about fainted when I saw the final total for my Saturn Vue. When will it go down again??

I met a nice, single (to my knowledge anyway), Christian guy yesterday. We got to talking and he is from the East Coast! We talked about places we knew there. And, to my delight, he is from PA! My fave state! Then, to top it off, he told me he is moving back in May. Seriously...lol!! Ugh, the irony is just too much!! lol

Yesterday we had a staff retreat for work. We had to watch a DVD of Zig Zigler who was giving a motivational speech. He said something that really struck me. He said that most people struggle with self esteem (I began to feel convicted) and how we will marvel at beautiful places in this world such as landscapes and flowers, etc but when we get to his greatest and most beloved creation (us) we are disgusted at what we see in the mirror (feeling lots of conviction at this point). It was a good point. What am I saying about God when I look down on myself? This isn't about being prideful but rather about viewing myself as God does - a constant struggle. He also went on to talk about the importance of being physically fit and all the benefits such as leading a happier life, etc. and I knew he was right. I don't think yesterday helped me out career-wise at all - but I sure felt like I needed to work on myself a lot as a Christian when I left.

I read an excellent article on marriage and divorce which was published by The Well, a church here in Fresno. I have been meaning to talk about it here on my blog. It is lengthy - about 5 pages or so - but it is EXCELLENT!!! I cannot say enough about it. Every Christian should read it before marrying. Anyway, if you are interested in the link let me know and I will send it your way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashely,
Yeah, you get to have some time to your self next week. Are you available to hang out toward the end of the next week. I would like the link to the marriage article.

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

http://thewellcommunity.org/resources/the%2Dguild/files/20080118marriagedivorceremarriage
positionpaper_positionpaper_1.pdf

Ashley said...

For some reason the above link isn't working for me...but it is there because I just found it so don't fret. Use that link and then do a search for it. You will find it. It might be helpful to look under information or past sermons or something...