I love four day work weeks! I think we should have them every week.:-) But, when I mentioned this to my SIL, she said that when we did we would soon want three day work weeks. She is probably right. The grass is always greener on the other side. But - still - thank goodness it is Friday...and so soon! And, not only is is Friday, but it is the last day of my twenties.
My Labor day weekend was terrific. I spent it with three other YL leaders from Kingsburg: Johnie, Jane, and Denver. The Folwer leaders were also there. We were up at Camp Nelson - in the mountains East of Porterville. I must admit I was kinda dreading the weekend - but ended up going home from our time together feeling rested, encouraged, and excited for the upcoming year of ministry. I also made some new friends and bettered other friendships and that was time definitely well spent.
And then how 'bout them Dogs on Monday??:-) Ooooooh yeah!! So fun it was in NJ - but I was still loyal to my alma mater.
Work was really busy this week. I am still not caught up. I had to work until 8:30 last night to help with training of the foster parents, but as a result I get off work at 12:30 today. If I were really good I would still work a full day to get caught up - but I am not that good.:-))
I got two compliments this week. One set of foster parents told me that in all the years they have been with our agency that no one has ever left them feeling encouraged like I do when I meet with them. That totally made my day because I am still learning my job in some ways. The other compliment was from my boss when she told me I was "losing my butt." Hey, I don't care if it was my boss, at least someone is noticing that I am working my butt off - literally!
As I'm sure most of you have gathered, I am beyond thrilled with the choice of Sarah Palin for VP. There are many reasons for this, but particularly because she shares many of the values and beliefs that I do. I do not feel that she, nor her family, are being treated fairly by the majority of the media - and this really fires me up. However, I must say that I was more then encouraged when I read the following article. I hope you are too...
Dr. James Dobson: The Palins Are in My Prayers
http://www.citizenlink.org/focusaction/pressreleases/A000008081.cfm
The governor and her family 'should be commended once again for not just talking about their pro-life and pro-family values, but living them out.'
Colorado Springs, Colo. – James C. Dobson, Ph.D., issued the following statement today in the wake of media reports that Bristol Palin, 17-year-old daughter of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, is pregnant.
In the 32-year history of Focus on the Family, we have offered prayer, counseling and resource assistance to tens of thousands of parents and children in the same situation the Palins are now facing. We have always encouraged the parents to love and support their children and always advised the girls to see their pregnancies through, even though there will of course be challenges along the way. That is what the Palins are doing, and they should be commended once again for not just talking about their pro-life and pro-family values, but living them out even in the midst of trying circumstances.
Being a Christian does not mean you're perfect. Nor does it mean your children are perfect. But it does mean there is forgiveness and restoration when we confess our imperfections to the Lord. I've been the beneficiary of that forgiveness and restoration in my own life countless times, as I'm sure the Palins have.
The media are already trying to spin this as evidence Gov. Palin is a 'hypocrite,' but all it really means is that she and her family are human. They are in my prayers and those of millions of Americans.
Tomorrow is my 30th birthday and party. I have some friends in town and expect to see lots more tomorrow, along with family. It should be a great time and I must admit that while they may be coming to celebrate my 30 years of life with cake and stories, to me I am celebrating them because they have made those years worth living. So to all my loved ones I say thanks for a terrific last 30 years, from the bottom of my heart, and here is to 30 more. Thanks for loving me and for all you have done for me. It is my hope I can be there for you too.
While a bit sad and nervous to leave my youthful twenties, this decade is going to be awesome. In my next 30 years I will marry my husband (pretty bold statement, but I am trusting God for this) and have babies of my very own. AMAZING! I will be older, wiser, and know myself better then I ever have. I will start new relationships with friends and grow even more in the bonds I have with wonderful family and friends who are like family. I will grow and continue to learn about the wonders God has placed around me. I will also continue to have the opportunity to love and serve others and God with all that I am, as simple and as complicated as that is.
Thirty, here I come. I am scared. I am excited. I am ready.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Happy Birthday Sista! Your party was nice! I'm glad you had loved ones around you on this special day!
Hi Ashly
I saw your post on the Yahoo blog about being locked from your email. So I thought I'd go on over and have a look-see of what had happened at your blog.
Nice blog!
The "100 Things I have discovered or experienced over the last 30 years" made me think back when I turned thirty. Yes I thought it was the end of the line for me! But now I'm 57 and look back to find that at 30 years was just the start of my life! The letter to yourself was thoughtful.
Happy Birthday to You Ashley!
//bob
Post a Comment