A lot of people have been asking about the job hunt. Here it is in a nutshell:
Life has been challenging since I moved back to CA. In a way I feel like I am right back to where I was four years ago. Searching for a job and not understanding why it is so hard to find one. I am trying to remind myself that it all worked out for the best last time because the job I was hired for eventually turned into moving to the East Coast, which was a wonderful experience for me. Sometimes I just don’t understand what God is up to. (But who says it is my right to understand?)
Anyway…while I was still living in New Jersey I heard about the possibility of a job with Bethany Adoption agency. I was super excited and when I came out for Easter I met with the director and turned in my app. I was counting on that job even though I hadn’t signed on the dotted line. Long story short the position never became open as expected because the person who was supposed to leave changed her mind. I got that phone call two days before I moved home. I was devastated.
So, I counted on the 20 or so resumes that I sent out to churches, counseling centers, etc. to bring me some offers. Nothing. They either did not have the funds to hire on new counselors or they wanted someone who was licensed. I am not licensed (yet). That took me back to square one.
I interviewed with the Biblical Counseling and Educational Center, which is connected to the Evangelical Free Church in Visalia. They loved me and I loved them. They offered me the opportunity to be the director of a counseling center here in Kingsburg. Then they told me I would have to raise my salary. I am done raising my own salary. I have done it for five years. I am ready to not have to worry about if I will be paid this month or next month. I declined that offer, but would love to help as a volunteer.
Finally a job opportunity came along that I was sooooo excited about. It was for Hanford School District as a character coach. Basically I would be a behavioral specialist. I could combine counseling with my experience with kids – plus work for a school system. How cool is that? There were 60 people who applied for the job. I made it to the final three. I was the last of the three to be interviewed and when the second interviewee walked out as I was walking in, both she and the interviewer were laughing and said, “See you later.” My heart sank. I knew at that time the decision had already been made. Needless to say later that afternoon I got the phone call that I didn’t get the job. I was crushed. That was the first job “rejection” that I cried over for quite a while.
Last week I interviewed for a job as the children’s ministries coordinator at my church. They are doing first interviews until August 1 and then will do a round of second interviews after that. They are hoping to hire someone by the beginning of the school year. I do think that I would enjoy this job and be good at it. Plus it would allow me to go to MBBS and become licensed in counseling. I am even hoping to counsel on the side in the meantime for the church. We shall see what happens with this one. Too bad I have to wait like four more weeks…
On Tuesday I have an interview with Samaritan Women for the position of executive director. I know a little but about this ministry and think it would be a good fit. My only concern is if they will want me to raise my own salary or not…. I will let you know how it goes.
I do have a fun side job though. For those of you who don’t know, I am the new cheer coach at KHS. We have already begun and it has been quite the experience. I don’t think I really knew what I was getting myself in to. The kids have been great but some of the moms are PSYCHO. I have learned to screen my calls because it might be crazy cheer moms. I am already beginning to think that (unfortunately) this will be my one and only year as coach.
Hopefully this brought you up to date on my career search!! It’s not the exciting post I know, but many of you have been asking and I thought that this would be a good way of spreading the word. Be sure to check back tomorrow for another post as I promise to keep my promise of blogging every day for one month!

No comments:
Post a Comment